LifeWorks welcomes transgender, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, gender expansive or other gendered, intersex and asexual individuals who want help addressing questions about gender identity, expression and presentation, the transition process, inner conflicts, relationships issues and problems, conflicts and concerns about or in their families, places of work and communities.
Our practice is rooted in a deep belief in the value of diversity for ourselves, our families, our clients, our communities and our world. Clinicians at LifeWorks strive to understand and support individuals facing various issues, challenges and beliefs including, but not limited to, the following:
- distinguishing issues of sexual orientation from gender identity, expression and presentation
- navigating transitions
- family of origin conflicts, concerns and problems
- difficulties and fears related to dating, establishing and maintaining intimate relationships
- conflicting norms, values, and beliefs faced by trans and gender non-conforming members of racial and ethnic minority groups
- specific issues and risks faced by trans and gender non-conforming youth
- the effects of stigma (i.e., prejudice, discrimination, and violence) toward trans and gender non-conforming people
- the perception that persons identifying as trans or gender expansive are mentally ill
- the belief that gender orientation is fixed and determined at birth based on observable bio-physical attributes
- previous experiences with therapists who lacked knowledge of or who held biases against trans and gender non-conforming persons
- conditions in the world (extended family, school, work, religious organizations, community) that are hostile to, devalue or do not recognize trans and gender non-conforming individuals as equal to cisgendered individuals deserving all the same rights and considerations
As much as social attitudes and laws change, continued stigma, harassment, discrimination and violence towards individuals related to gender identity and expression, choice of partners and sexual orientation is a fact of life for many. If you are someone needing to work through these or other issues, please give us a call.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call or email: