At LifeWorks, we believe that the infinite experiences of gender that exist make the world a more vibrant and beautiful place. However, for those whose upbringing modeled only two very narrowly defined categories of gender, it can be difficult to know how to learn more. We are living in a time when we (at least those of us with access to the internet) have more resources available than ever before.
Here are a few of our favorite sources of information on transgender experiences.
- Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity
- Genderqueer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe
- Whipping Girl by Julia Serano
- Beyond the Gender Binary by Alok Vaid Menon
- Gender Outlaw by Kate Bornstein
- A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns by Archie Bongiovanni and Tristan Jimerson
- Black on Both Sides: A Racial History of Trans Identity by C. Riley Snorton
- Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex by Eric A. Stanley & Nat Smith
- I’m Afraid of Men By Vivek Shraya
- Transgender History: The Roots of Today’s Revolution By Susan Stryker
- On My Way To Liberation by H. Melt
- Felix Ever After (young adult) by Kacen Callender
- Stone Butch Blues by Les Feinberg
- Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars By Kai Cheng Thom
- Confessions of the Fox by Jordy Rosenberg
- Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters
- Paul Takes the Form of a Mortal Girl by Andrea Lawlor
The following websites are places to learn more about trans and gender non-conforming experiences as well as connect with communities and support.
- Genderspectrum.org – Gender Spectrum is a national organization committed to the health and well-being of gender- diverse children and teens through education and support for families, and training and guidance for educators, medical and mental health providers, and other professionals.
- Them.us – “Them is the award-winning authority on what LGBTQ+ means today — and tomorrow. From in-depth storytelling on the fight for LGBTQ+ rights to intimate profiles of queer cultural vanguards, it’s a platform for all of the bold, stylish, and rebellious ways that LGBTQ+ people are reshaping our world every day.”
- National Center for Transgender Equality – The National Center for Transgender Equality advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice.
- A List for Us – The List was created to collect and showcase resources for trans+ individuals, their families, allies, and providers.
Have a resource or book you’d like to recommend? Please comment on this post.
We’re here to help.
If you or someone you care about identifies as transgender or gender non-conforming, know that you don’t have to face life’s challenges alone. LifeWorks Psychotherapy provides a safe, trans-affirming, and compassionate space for individuals of all gender identities. Take the first step towards healing, growth, and self-discovery by reaching out to us today.